Our Upper School Guidance Office focuses on the educational, emotional, and behavioral needs of our students and offers a range of services to address these needs.
We provide both academic and emotional support and seek to help students take advantage of the wealth of curricular and extra-curricular opportunities available to them.
Guidance Counselors provide many services including:
- welcoming new families and easing the transition to our school
- advising on course selection and scheduling of classes
- helping students to meet graduation requirements
- assisting with long range planning and awareness of a variety of program options (including, but not limited to, AP and IB courses)
- providing guidance in cases of academic difficulties
- assisting students with personal and interpersonal concerns
- communicating regularly with their teachers and parents
- consulting with teachers, the guidance committee and local professionals on specific student concerns
During each school year, meetings and workshops are organized for students and parents, and individual meetings are encouraged.
We are also responsible for the GAPS classes for Grades 9 and 10. In these classes students display a growing self-confidence and a greater sense of global awareness as we grapple with defining issues around four important pillars:
And, in the last two years of Upper School, many students give back and support younger students as they too tackle these issues, by serving as GAPS peer mentors. Many students also take on leadership roles in ASP’s service clubs, identifying opportunities to actively support others less fortunate and to make contributions to the greater world on a level not often seen in young people.
We very much look forward to meeting and working with you throughout the school year.