21st Century Campus
ASP's Campus Development Project
Alongside our existing campus buildings, the new Upper School building has been inaugurated, Lower School cafeteria/pavillion is now complete, and the Arts Link building is soon to follow.
In 2011, ASP became proud owners of the campus property we have occupied since 1967, and with it came the opportunity to build or redesign facilities to best support the needs of 21st century teaching and learning. A representative group of school constituents then worked along with our architect firm to develop a comprehensive campus development program brief that defines and integrates a set of educational criteria-our guiding principles (see below) to shape the design of our future campus.
- Teaching and Learning at the Heart of the Project
- Guiding Principles Used in the Programming
- Peaceful and Safe Campus
The imperative within our campus development project is to ensure instruction informs construction. We must recognize that teaching and learning excellence is born from teacher performance, the curriculum and the context for learning – known as the “third teacher” that is to say that the quality of our facilities can be viewed as an instructional partner.
- Creative use of space
- Effective design for teaching and learning
- Sustainable construction and green practices to create a highly inviting and adaptable set of facilities.
In addition to our teachers and other adults in your child’s life and our clearly definced, written curriculum, there is also the context of how our classroom facilities and other spaces are in service to student learning. In this respect, in the design, we follow guiding principles such as:
- Ensuring there is enough space in any given classroom for collaborative learning opportunities
- Ensuring classrooms are designed according to developmental and instructional needs of the students
- Facilitating learning in multiple surroundings - inside and outside the classroom
- Enabling collaborative work across disciplines - such as the idea of a centralized Fine and Performing Arts center, one of the hallmarks of our school.
- Supporting foreign language learning with a suite of classrooms that offer a full range of learning opportunities.
- Leading by example - environmental stewardship is critical to our design; we need to model sustainable green practices for our young people.
Critical to learning is creating an environment where kids enjoy themselves and thrive. Our design needs to adapt to a growing population of students while preserving class sizes and our highly personalized teaching atmosphere, now and into the future.
- Sustainable construction and green practices for all construction
- New purpose built-environmentally certified buildings
- Core subject classrooms for each division will be clustered together
- New Upper School building providing more space and increased 21st century learning possibilities
- New 1898 square meter Arts Link, bringing together all ASP art genres
- New Lower School cafeteria and pavillion designed specifically for our youngest learners
- 5855 square meters of newly constructed learning spaces
- Four season synthetic sports turf field
- 10 collaborative and discovery spaces
- 8 future science labs
Located in suburban Saint-Cloud, ASP is committed to safety and security, and to ensuring a peaceful green campus as a place to learn. Our expansive school grounds are equipped with open indoor and outdoor spaces for young people to enjoy, explore and to learn within. At the same time, not unlike all of France, our vigilance remains constant. The campus is at the highest security posture in accordance with our protocols, which reinforces our school as a peaceful, safe and secure place to learn.
Some of ASP’s security measures:
- our campus is private, access-controlled, fully-enclosed, and staffed with a round-the-clock security presence.
- we actively maintain constant and real-time contact with leading surveillance and security experts including the local police, the police prefecture in Paris, and Embassy diplomatic experts.
- our recent infrastructure security project features a major investment for the acquisition and integration of the latest technology in alarm and CCTV systems and access-control hardware and software.
- a fully-tested school-wide communications information system has been developed to transmit security updates at any time to all families, faculty and staff.
It is important to ensure stability in each ASP child’s day-to-day school life– because what we do know is that in the midst of the unexpected, it is essential to offer the predictable and the familiar. Above all else, the American School of Paris is committed to ensuring a peaceful green campus as a place to learn, assuring each child’s safety, security and well-being.
ASP is grateful for the tremendous philanthropic support of families, alumni, and corporate partners who have helped to make this project possible. To learn more about such opportunities, please contact Emily A. Robin, Director of Development and Alumni Relations, at email@example.com or visit Building The New ASP.
Read The ASPect magazine issue dedicated to the future ASP campus